The History & Heritage of
Trading Boundaries, or The Sheffield Arms, as it was known, is an 18th Century former coaching Inn, which has served as a Hotel, Pub and Night Club. Commissioned by the first Lord Sheffield, John Baker Holroyd, The Sheffield Arms served as a great convenience to his estate, housing guests, servants and horses. Another factor that influenced Holroyd’s action was the growth of Brighton. Although the route had been diverted through Cuckfield, the old route via East Grinstead and Lewes still carried most of the traffic. With no stage between East Grinstead and Lewes, Sheffield Green, equidistant between the two towns, was the ideal location.
* The building began in 1777 (on a piece of land owned by Lord Sheffield) and was completed by 1779.* Holroyd’s eldest Grandson Henry Holroyd the 3rd Earl of Sheffield boosted cricket in the local area building his own oval at Sheffield Park Gardens (The family estate) and is the most notable member of the family in the local area of Fletching.
Earl of Sheffield Park Sussex
* The Holroyd Crest is still visible above the main entrance today.
*After the death of Henry Holroyd in 1909 there was no successor to the title and the earldom became extinct.
* Tenancy was offered, inclusive of Vigoes Farm next door, as late as 1910, until it was sold by the estate to Tamplins Brewery.
* After 1965, when the table of tenants end, few landlords lasted for more than a year. Various business such as restaurants, hotels and bars all came and went thorough the decades.
* During the late eighties The Sheffield Arms Pub became a popular nightclub, with party-goers traveling far and wide to attend the jazz-funk club nights.
* By the nineties, The Sheffield Arms, operating as a pub again, had fallen into a state of disrepair, with repair-work badly neglected until 1998 when Michael Clifford and Tracy Thomson bought the building and began work, transforming it into the amazing retail destination it is today.